They're starting to dribble out already so let's round them up here.
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 12:09 (nine years ago) link
Paste magazine, I am lolling @ u
50. Frank Turner – England Keep My Bones49. Mates of State – Mountaintops48. Drake – Take Care47. Real Estate – Days46. Holy Ghost! – Holy Ghost!45. Those Darlins – Screws Get Loose44. Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring For My Halo43. The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar42. Wild Flag – Wild Flag41. James Blake – James Blake
40. Portugal. The Man – In The Mountain, In The Cloud39. Foster the People – Torches38. Over the Rhine – The Long Surrender37. The War on Drugs – Slave Ambient36. Mister Heavenly – Out Of Love35. Childish Gambino – Camp34. Seryn – This Is Where We Are33. The Head and the Heart – The Head and the Heart32. Ryan Adams – Ashes & Fire31. Telekinesis – 12 Desperate Straight Lines
30. Tom Waits – Bad As Me29. Feist – Metals28. Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes27. Black Lips – Arabia Mountain26. The Low Anthem – Smart Flesh25. The Antlers – Burst Apart24. TV on the Radio – Nine Types of Light23. The Belle Brigade – The Belle Brigade22. The Black Keys – El Camino21. Charles Bradley – No Time For Dreaming
20. Beirut – The Rip Tide19. Cults – Cults18. Wye Oak – Civilian17. The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow16. Yuck – Yuck15. Deer Tick – Divine Providence 14. Adele – 2113. Radiohead – The King of Limbs12. Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean11. St. Vincent – Strange Mercy
10. The Decemberists – The King Is Dead9. M83 – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming8. Dawes – Nothing Is Wrong7. Wilco – The Whole Love6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – It’s A Corporate World5. Middle Brother – Middle Brother4. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l3. My Morning Jacket – Circuital 2. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues1. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 12:23 (nine years ago) link
The fact mag countdown has started:
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 12:26 (nine years ago) link
god help paste magazine if they really haven't heard any albums better than those 50
― lex pretend, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 12:45 (nine years ago) link
Yep, totally dismal
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 12:49 (nine years ago) link
Songlines top ten albums
Abigail Washburn - City of RefugeAurelio - Laru BeyaCarminho - FadoBlind Note - Blind NoteBoban & Marko Markovic & Fanfare Ciocarlia - Balkan Brass BattleCecil Sharp Project - Cecil Sharp Project Söndörgő - TamburisingDawda Jobarteh - Northern Light Gambian Night Anda Union - The Wind HorseAnoushka Shankar - Traveller
Rough Trade shop - top 100 albums
1 josh t pearson - last of the country gentlemen2 nicolas jaar - space is only noise3 kurt vile - smoke ring for my halo4 gillian welch - the harrow and the harvest5 pj harvey - let england shake6 veronica falls - veronica falls7 zomby - dedication8 john maus - we must become the pitiless censors of ourselves9 the head and the heart - the head and the heart10 white hills - h-p1
11 sbtrkt - sbtrkt12 lykke li - wounded rhymes13 metronomy - the english riviera14 calvi anna - anna calvi15 bon iver - bon iver16 pollyn - living in patterns17 beirut - the rip tide18 ema - past life martyred saints19 cults - cults20 balam acab - wander / wonder
21 ghostpoet - peanut butter blues and melancholy jam22 lanterns on the lake - gracious tide take me home23 drive by truckers - go-go boots24 tom the lion - the adventures of tom the lion25 civil wars - barton hollow26 emmy the great - virtue27 the low anthem - smart flesh28 black lips - arabia mountain29 seahawks - invisible sunrise30 villalobos ricardo and max loderbauer - re: ecm
31 jeb loy - the jeb loy nichols special32 wild beasts - smother33 wild flag - wild flag34 yuck - yuck35 cook hollie - hollie cook36 wooden shjips - west37 waits tom - bad as me38 tucek sarabeth - get well soon39 still corners - creatures of an hour40 dum dum girls - only in dreams
41 arctic monkeys - suck it and see42 wilco - the whole love43 the stepkids - the stepkids44 washed out - within and without45 the leisure society - into the murky water46 carlyle mara - floreat47 iceage - new brigade48 dawes - nothing is wrong49 blake james - james blake50 the vaccines - what do you expect from the vaccines
51 peaking lights - 93652 radiohead - king of limbs53 azari and iii - azari and iii54 danger mouse and daniele luppi - rome55 male bonding - endless now56 cashier no 9 - to the death of fun57 the war on drugs - slave ambient58 unknown mortal orchestra - unknown mortal orchestra59 bjork - bibliophilia60 cat's eyes - cat's eyes
61 moore thurston - demolished thoughts62 little dragon - ritual union63 king creosote and jon hopkins - diamond mine64 the field - looping state of mind65 fucked up - david comes to life66 the decemberists - the king is dead67 martyn - ghost people68 flashman - to the victor - the spoils69 wu lyf - go tell fire to the mountain70 other lives - tamer animals
71 explosions in the sky - take care take care take care72 cornershop ft. bubbley kaur - cornershop and the double 'o' groove73 the felice brothers - celebration florida74 dirty beaches - badlands75 real estate - days76 richmond fontaine - the high country77 dury baxter - happy soup78 she keeps bees - dig on79 dark dark dark - wild go80 planningtorock - w
81 pete and the pirates - one thousand pictures82 kitty daisy and lewis - smoking in heaven83 fleet foxes - helplessness blues84 the horrors - skying85 moon duo - mazes86 big deal - lights out87 locussolus - locussolus88 new look - new look89 kode 9 and the spaceape - black sun90 beastie boys - hot sauce committee part two
91 woods - sun and shade92 love inks - esp93 summer camp - welcome to condale94 jehst - the dragon of an ordinary family95 i break horses - hearts96 shabazz palaces - black up97 big troubles - romantic comedy98 neon indian - era extrana99 tune-yards - whokill100 tyler the creator - goblin
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:11 (nine years ago) link
an improvement on the paste list but still way too much boring indie
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:14 (nine years ago) link
also, a top 100 - who can even take that all in?
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:20 (nine years ago) link
not me for a kick off.
― Ou est la showaddywaddy (MarkG oo la showaddywaddy), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:23 (nine years ago) link
The bottom 50 of a top 100 usually tends to be a lot more interesting to me than the top.
Because, if it's caused by voting listmaking, it means that at least 2 people have ~really~ loved something which was either ignored or loathed by everyone else. Which is the sign of a marmitey album that I might love more than the dull boring critical consensus ones.
― Fotherington Thomas, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:27 (nine years ago) link
it's true! someone needs to develop some sort of app for filtering out the dull consensus picks
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:35 (nine years ago) link
just noticed that they mistitled the bjork album at 59 :)
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:36 (nine years ago) link
i do not have the brain for this kind of list-making, but the frank ocean & colin stetson lps are on neither, & are interesting lps. i know that's picky but that they're reasonably highly thought of inside their non-indie-genres seems illuminating.
― Never translate German (schlump), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:40 (nine years ago) link
i'm fucking livid at that paste list
― dealwithit.gif, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:48 (nine years ago) link
35. Childish Gambino – Camp
35. Childish Gambino
― dealwithit.gif, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:49 (nine years ago) link
― dealwithit.gif, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:50 (nine years ago) link
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 13:52 (nine years ago) link
DECIBEL EOY List:
1. Tombs - Path of Totality 2. Opeth- Heritage 3. Mastodon - The Hunter 4. In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil. 5. Brutal Truth- End Time 6. Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst the Ashes 7. YOB - Atma 8. 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room 9. Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual....... 10. Junius - Reports From The Threshold of Death 11. Graveyard - Hisingen Blues 12. Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand 13. Exhumed - All Guts, No glory 14. False - False 15. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal 16. Revocation - Chaos of Forms 17. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft 18. Obscura - Omnivium 19. Drugs of Faith - Corroded 20. Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones 21. Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All 22. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life 23. Atriarch - Forever the End 24. Disma - Towards the Megalith 25. Moab - Ab Ovo 26. Gridlink - Orphan 27. Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination 28. Vallenfyre - A Fragile King 29. Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand 30. Mournful Congregation - The Book of Kings 31. Machine Head - Unto the Locust 32. ABSU - Abzu 33. Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations 34. Origin - Entity 35. Darkest Era - The Last Caress of Light 36. Deafheaven - Roads to Judah 37. Hammers of Misfortune - 17th Street 38. Krallice - Diotima 39. Rwake - Rest 40. Graf Orlock - Doom Box
― I left my login in El Sandboxo, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 14:28 (nine years ago) link
I can only assume you've never seen a Paste list before, since this is par for the shitty course.
― I left my login in El Sandboxo, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 14:30 (nine years ago) link
01 - BURST APART - THE ANTLERS02 - THE ENGLISH RIVIERA - METRONOMY03 - SKYING - THE HORRORS04 - DYE IT BLONDE - SMITH WESTERNS05 - A DIFFERENT KIND OF FIX - BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB06 - LET ENGLAND SHAKE - PJ HARVEY07 - SMOTHER - WILD BEASTS08 - FATHER, SON, HOLY GHOST - GIRLS09 - WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FROM THE VACCINES _ THE VACCINES10 - GLOSS DROP - BATTLES11 - SMOKE RING FOR MY HALO - KURT VILE12 - THE KING OF LIMBS - RADIOHEAD13 - YUCK - YUCK14 - PALA - FRIENDLY FIRES15 - ANNA CALVI - ANNA CALVI16 - WITHIN AND WITHOUT - WASHED OUT17 - BON IVER - BON IVER18 - JAMES BLAKE - JAMES BLAKE19 - VERONICA FALLS - VERONICA FALLS20 - CEREMONIALS - FLORENCE & THE MACHINE21 - UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA - UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA22 - DAYS - REAL ESTATE23 - ARABIA MOUNTAIN - BLACK LIPS24 - A CREATURE I DON´T KNOW - LAURA MARLING25 - D - WHITE DENIM26 - HAPPY SOUP - BAXTER DURY27 - HELPLESSNESS BLUES - FLEET FOXES28 - GO TELL FIRE TO THE MOUNTAIN - WU LYF29 - NATIVE SPEAKER - BRAIDS30 - GARDENS & VILLA - GARDENS & VILLA31 - A THOUSAND HEYS - MAZES32 - CADENZA - DUTCH UNCLES33 - LAST NIGHT ON EARTH - NOAH & THE WHALE34 - HOTEL SHAMPOO - GRUFF RHYS35 - STRANGE MERCY - ST. VINCENT36 - SUCK IT AND SEE - ARCTIC MONKEYS37 - PAST-LIFE MARTYRED SAINTS - EMA38 - WOUNDED RHYMES - LYKKE LI39 - MIRROR TRAFFIC - STEPHEN MALKMUS & THE JICKS40 - SBTRKT - SBTRKT41 - SLAVE AMBIENT - THE WAR ON DRUGS42 - MYLO XYLOTO - COLDPLAY43 - BLACK UP - SHABAZZ PALACES44 - CEREBRAL BALLZY - CEREBRAL BALLZY45 - BUILD A ROCKET BOYS! - ELBOW46 - ANGLES - THE STROKES47 - PARADISE - SLOW CLUB48 - VALHALLA DANCEHALL - BRITISH SEA POWER49 - PASSIVE ME, AGRESSIVE YOU - THE NAKED AND THE FAMOUS50 - THE BIG ROAR - THE JOY FORMIDABLE
― Mitchell Stirling, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 14:56 (nine years ago) link
Sonic (Swedish magazine) Albums
1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake2. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & the Harvest3. My Morning Jacket - Circuital4. Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What5. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes6. James Blake - James Blake7. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues8. Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire9. Tinariwen - Tassili10. Feist - Metals11. Bon Iver - Bon Iver12. The Weeknd - House of Baloons13. Shabazz Palace - Black Up14. Wilco - The Whole Love15. Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra16. A. A. Bondy - Believers17. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo18. Adele - 2119. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 197220. Tyler, The Creator - Goblin21. Deportees - Islands & Shores22. Zomby - Dedication23. Ison & Fille - För evigt24. Holy Ghost! - Holy Ghost!25. Jonathan Johansson - Klagomuren
Blitz from Portugal.
50) The Dodos: No Color49) Mastodon: The Hunter48) Bill Callahan: Apocalypse47) Zomby: Dedication46) Wild Flag: Wild Flag45) TV on the Radio: Nine Types of Light44) Toro Y Moi: Underneath the Pine43) Patrick Wolf: Lupercalia42) David Sylvian: Died In Wool41) SBTRKT: SBTRKT40) Jessica Lea Mayfield: Tell Me39) Radiohead: The King of Limbs38) Gang Gang Dance: Eye Contact37) The Weeknd: House of Balloons36) Smith Westerns: Dye It Blonde35) Friendly Fires: Pala34) Florence and the Machine: Ceremonials33) The Field: Looping State Of Mind32) tUnE-yArDs: w h o k i l l31) Tinariwen: Tassili30) Justice: Audio, Video, Disco29) Metronomy: The English Riviera28) Afrocubism: Afrocubism27) Trap Them: Darker Handcarft26) Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto25) Chico Buarque: Chico24) Lykke Li: Wounded Rhymes23) Feist: Metals22) Wild Beasts: Smother21) Low: C'mon20) Jamie Won: Mirrorwriting19) Diddy Dirty Money: Last Train To Paris18) Jonathan Wilson: Gentle Spirit17) Britney Spears: Femme Fatale16) Beyoncé: 415) Tyler, the Creator: Goblin14) Katy B: On a Mission13) Anna Calvi: Anna Calvi12) Destroyer: Kaputt11) WU LYF: Go Tell Fire to the Mountain10) Adele: 2109) Tom Waits: Bad As Me08) Laura Marling: A Creature I Don't Know07) Kurt Vile: Smoke Ring For My Halo06) Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks: Mirror Traffic05) Bon Iver: Bon Iver04) Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues03) Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise02) PJ Harvey: Let England Shake01) James Blake: James Blake
― Mitchell Stirling, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 14:57 (nine years ago) link
1. Connan Mockasin Forever Dolphin Love2. Metronomy The English Riviera3. The Horrors Skying4. Kurt Vile Smoke Ring For My Halo5. Azari & III Azari & III6. Little Dragon Ritual Union7. Cut Copy Zonoscope8. Unknown Mortal Orchestra Unknown Mortal Orchestra9. Smith Westerns Dye It Blonde10. Shabazz Palaces Black Up11. Cat's Eyes Cat's Eyes12. Thurston Moore Demolished Thoughts13. Radiohead The King Of Limbs14. The Antlers Burst Apart15. Baxter Dury Happy Soup16. Bon Iver Bon Iver17. Girls Father, Son, Holy Ghost18. Yuck Yuck19. The War On Drugs Slave Ambient20. Lykke Li Wounded Rhymes21. Black Lips Arabia Mountain 22. EMA Past Life Martyred Saints 23. Dum Dum Girls Only In Dreams 24. Laura Marling A Creature I Don't Know 25. Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi Rome 26. Slow Club Paradise 27. Dutch Uncles Cadenza 28. Beastie Boys Hot Sauce Committee Part Two 29. Wooden Shjips West 30. Papercuts Fading Parade
Q's Top 50 Albums Of 2011
50. Justice - Audio Video Disco49. Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra48. Noah & The Whale - Last Night On Earth 47. Mastodon - The Hunter 46. SBTRKT - SBTRKT 45. Miles Kane - Colour Of The Trap 44. Death In Vegas - Trans-Love Energies43. King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine42. Josh T Pearson - Last Of The Country Gentlemen 41. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost40. Danger Mouse & Daniel Luppi - Rome 39. James Blake - James Blake 38. Feist - Metals37. Washed Out - Within And Without 36. Katy B - On A Mission35. Cass McCombs - Humor Risk 34. Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo 33. tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L 32. Radiohead - King Of Limbs31. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part II 30. Lady Gaga - Born This Way 29. Kasabian - Velociraptor!28. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest 27. Ed Sheeran - + 26. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes 25. Wild Beast - Smother 24. Real Estate - Days23. Bjork - Biophilla 22. White Lies - Ritual 21. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds20. The Weeknd - Thursday 19. Cass McCombs - Wit's End 18. Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi 17. Metronomy - The English Riviera 16. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo 15. Baxter Dury - Happy Soup 14. The Weeknd - House Of Balloons 13. Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind Of Fix 12. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know 11. The Horrors - Skying10. Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys!9. WU LYF - Go Tell Fire To The Mountain8. St Vincent - Strange Mercy 7. Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See6. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne5. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto4. Bon Iver - Bon Iver 3. Adele - 212. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake1. Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
― Mitchell Stirling, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 14:58 (nine years ago) link
1. Connan Mockasin Forever Dolphin Love
waht is this?
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:03 (nine years ago) link
― dealwithit.gif, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:48 AM (1 hour ago)
they had drake ; )
― k3vin k., Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:07 (nine years ago) link
Connan Mockasin album is decent psych-pop, but is also a 2010 album rereleased in 2011 under a different title (was previously Please Turn Me Into The Snat, so you can see how a change helped).
― if, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:14 (nine years ago) link
glad he had a rethink on the snat before the wish anus turned up
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:21 (nine years ago) link
How do you think the wish anus came to be?
― Ou est la showaddywaddy (MarkG oo la showaddywaddy), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:27 (nine years ago) link
that truly is the riddle of the sphincs
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:29 (nine years ago) link
the fact that the decemberists placed so much farther ahead of some of my favorite records in that paste list just blows my mind
― diamonddaze85 (ok), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:36 (nine years ago) link
― diamonddaze85 (ok), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:37 (nine years ago) link
o_O at Florence #1 in Q.
― Stevie T, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:47 (nine years ago) link
My God at that Q list.
― sean doily, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:51 (nine years ago) link
where is kate bush band???
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:53 (nine years ago) link
1. Tombs - Path of Totality
haha are there really 2 metal albums named path of totality this year?
― diamonddaze85 (ok), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:54 (nine years ago) link
No – my god at that Paste list.
― Lord Sotosyn, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:54 (nine years ago) link
are there any good lists, anywhere
― cad, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:57 (nine years ago) link
Piccadilly Records Albums of the Year
Not going to type out all 100, these are the top 20:
1. Peaking Lights - 936 (yay!)2. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo3. The Phoenix Foundation - Buffalo4. Maria Minerva - Cabaret Cixous5. Metronomy - The English Riviera6. Wooden Shjips - West7. Other Lives - Tamer Animals8. The Kills - Blood Pressures9. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain10. Widowspeak - Widowspeak11. Shimmering Stars - Violent Hearts12. Dum Dum Girls - Only In Dreams13. Pure X - Pleasure14. Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit15. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake16. Harvey Presents Locussolus - Locussolus17. Vetiver - The Errant Charm18. J Mascis - Several Shades of Why19. Real Estate - Days20. Washed Out - Within and Without
― sean doily, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 15:58 (nine years ago) link
Only one list so far has featured Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.
Funny how everyone scans over the metal list as "oh, well, they just cover metal so of course they're gonna have a list full of metal albums" yet every time something that just covers shitty indie has a list made up of shitty indie people are LIVID.
― Illia Rump (emil.y), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:00 (nine years ago) link
― Mordy, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:01 (nine years ago) link
xp but it's not even good indie :(
― pomplamau5, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:01 (nine years ago) link
I'd say Q at least pretends to cover more than shitty indie? I guess they do include Jay-Z and Kanye to demonstrate they know about the rapping too.
― sean doily, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:03 (nine years ago) link
Rounder Records (Brighton) top 50:
1.THE HORRORS - "Skying" (XL)2.SUUNS - "Zeroes QC" (Secretly Canadian)3.THE WAR ON DRUGS - "Slave Ambient" (Secretly Canadian)4.PJ HARVEY - "Let England Shake" (Island)5.HYETAL - "Broadcast" (Special Branch)6.FORD & LOPATIN - "Channel Pressure" (Software)7.NEON INDIAN - "Era Extrana" (Transgressive)8.JOHN MAUS - "We Must Become The Pitiless Censors Of Ourselves" (Upset The Rhythm)9.MOON DUO - "Mazes" (Souterrain Transmissions)10.PEAKING LIGHTS - "936" (Weird World)11.THURSTON MOORE - "Demolished Thoughts" (Matador)12.SBTRKT - "SBTRKT" (Young Turks)13.METRONOMY - "The English Riviera" (Because)14.YUCK - "Yuck" (Mercury)15.MAYER HAWTHORNE - "How Do You Do" (Universal Republic)16.CAT'S EYES - "Cat's Eyes" (Polydor)17.BOOKER T JONES - "The Road From Memphis" (Epitaph)18.THE FIELD - "Looping State Of Mind" (Kompakt)19.STEPHEN MALKMUS - "Mirror Traffic" (Domino)20.VERONICA FALLS - "Veronica Falls" (Bella Union)21.WILD FLAG - “Wild Flag” (Wichita)22.JOHN TEJADA - "Parabolas" (Kompakt)23.JUSTICE - "Audio, Video, Disco" (Edbanger)24.BEASTIE BOYS - "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two" (Capitol)25.JAMIE WOON - "Mirrorwriting" (Interscope)26.MEMORY TAPES - "Player Piano" (Something In Construction)27.LOCUSSOLUS - "Locussolus" (International Feel)28.NO JOY - "Ghost Blonde" (Mexican Summer)29.GUI BORATTO - "III" (Kompakt)30.WIDOWSPEAK - "Widowspeak" (Captured Tracks)31.MOGWAI - "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" (Rock Action)32.MARTYN - "Ghost People" (Brainfeeder)33.ELEANOR FRIEDBERGER - "Last Summer" (City Slang)34.J.MASCIS - "Several Shades Of Why" (Sub Pop)35.TORO Y MOI - "Underneath The Pine" (Carpark)36.THE KILLS - "Blood Pressures" (Domino)37.WASHED OUT - "Within & Without" (Weird World)38.RINGO DEATHSTARR - "Colour Trip" (Club AC30)39.DENNIS COFFEY - "Dennis Coffey" (Strut)40.EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - "Take Care Take Care Take Care" (Bella Union)41.GRUFF RHYS - "Hotel Shampoo" (Ovni)42.TOM WAITS - "Bad As Me" (Anti)43.MODESELEKTOR - "Monkeytown" (Monkeytown)44.HOLY GHOST - "Holy Ghost" (DFA)45.RUSTIE - “Glass Swords” (Warp)46.KITTY, DAISY & LEWIS - "Smoking In Heaven" (Sunday Best)47.WOODEN SHJIPS - "West" (Thrill Jockey)48.BALAM ACAB - "Wander/Wonder" (Triangle)49.ST. VINCENT - "Strange Mercy" (4AD)50.BLOOD ORANGE - “Coastal Grooves” (Domino)
― Illia Rump (emil.y), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:03 (nine years ago) link
^^^ decent list
― sean doily, Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:04 (nine years ago) link
I'd say Q at least pretends to cover more than shitty indie?
Q doesn't even cover very much shitty indie. They cover old man rock music.
― Illia Rump (emil.y), Tuesday, 29 November 2011 16:04 (nine years ago) link
but really i have no clue and am an idiot
i still think saying that something shitty because its in bad taste is lazy worthless criticism but w/e
― (9ò_ó)=@ (є(٥_ ٥)э), Friday, 30 December 2011 03:43 (nine years ago) link
j/k but no really i feel you. i've been thinking lately about how i don't really trust anyone who isn't enthusiastic about at least some things that are deeply uncool or in 'bad taste.' and like when people taunt me about listening to Limp Bizkit or "Moves Like Jagger" or something all i think is isn't it kind of obvious i'm not really worried about whether people think i have 'bad taste'?
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 03:47 (nine years ago) link
if your gut has never lead you to some places you're not 100% comfortable going then you're probably not actually listening to it
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 03:48 (nine years ago) link
Trying to explain ambiguity or vulgarity to an audience is half the battle of a critic imo.
― Lord Sotosyn, Friday, 30 December 2011 03:49 (nine years ago) link
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 03:52 (nine years ago) link
i mean i will happily needle whoever for listening to drake but it's not because i'm aghast that anyone likes such a gauche pop rapper, if anything my problem with him is that his music is so disgustingly tasteful and timely
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 03:56 (nine years ago) link
as a guy known for defending purportedly risible crap I can imagine being persuaded by a cogent analysis of Drake, but I've yet to read one that didn't inadvertently paraphrase his press releases (e.g. the buzzwords "introspective," "tortured," "speaking his mind," etc).
― Lord Sotosyn, Friday, 30 December 2011 04:01 (nine years ago) link
haha dismissing stuff as tasteful is even worse imo
i don't think bourdieu or our revisionist&idealized poptimist project thought you cld have asocial criticism shorn of those biases. it should instead be the aim to bring those values to the fore and mb have ppl engage w/ the contingent foundation their taste is built on.
i think you can make big BLEUGH partisan dismissals w/out being dishonest, blind or self-deceiving about the nature of yr own taste/personal lamp brand
― cutehound, Friday, 30 December 2011 04:11 (nine years ago) link
sure but i dont know how 'worthwhile' it is? dishonest also isnt really the same as lazy i guess
im probably being foolish simply becaue i really like thinking abt taste and self-image and social position and how they map onto preferences in music and how they help give form and nuance to pop music and its nice if other ppl are doing the same rather than just lol u have shitty taste or w/e
― є(٥_ ٥)э, Friday, 30 December 2011 04:21 (nine years ago) link
ugh this is all really popmpus and stupid probably but like i do think drake projects a kind of... connoisseurship in his rapping that feels p upper middle-class but that also seems to reflect/intersect with the very this season production work on 'take care' which in turn is kindof alienating to me or maybe just of a piece w/his narcissism
― є(٥_ ٥)э, Friday, 30 December 2011 04:30 (nine years ago) link
i dunno man, i listen to music instead of thinking about self-image and social position (xp)
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 04:31 (nine years ago) link
but otm about drake. kind of ties into how i always felt like he just kind of stepped out of the vapor of 2008/2009 when the 2 biggest rappers were kanye and lil wayne as like this mathematically calibrated halfway point between them, and for all the ways he doesn't fit the profile of a rap star in and 'interesting' way he's also just kind of a slavish sycophant to other rappers and his audience in general.
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 04:34 (nine years ago) link
sure but i dont know how 'worthwhile' it is? dishonest also isnt really the same as lazy i guess
this is the nub of it, right?
Like, the problem with disliking something because it's bad taste isn't that it's wrong but that as a criticism it doesn't really tell you anything about the actual relationship b/w the speaker and the music (other than in a bourdieu distinction sense). It's a boring statement, whereas the answer to "what do you mean when you say something is bad taste?" often can be quite interesting. It's really a "use other words please" issue rather than a "yr critical model is flawed" issue IMO.
To my mind the main relationship b/w bourdieu and pop(tim)ism is the idea that r'ships between social groups and pieces or types of music are there to be interrogated rather than generalised in order to bolster yr opinion.
Needless to say not everyone who likes chart-pop necessarily abides by that injunction.
― Tim F, Friday, 30 December 2011 05:58 (nine years ago) link
haha someone around here (hurting, i think) told me recently that for someone with such good taste, i have really questionable taste. i took this as a huge compliment.
― dark side of the goon (furnace mane), Friday, 30 December 2011 07:39 (nine years ago) link
i <3 "tasteful" music
i don't think i've ever subscribed to a dogma of poptimism, or of anything. you make your taste up as you go along really.
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Friday, 30 December 2011 08:40 (nine years ago) link
it is interesting to see what artists are kneejerk acceptable/unacceptable in various social circles though, and i'd agree with shipz that if everything you like conforms to "acceptability" in whatever your social circles are, and you are an adult, you are maybe doing it a bit wrong
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Friday, 30 December 2011 08:45 (nine years ago) link
infinite state machine's top 50
― april wowak, Friday, 30 December 2011 09:03 (nine years ago) link
if everything you like conforms to "acceptability" in whatever your social circles are, and you are an adult, you are maybe doing it a bit wrong
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Friday, December 30, 2011
Social circles defn of acceptibility often isn't static but gradually morphs tho? That group-shift is pretty interesting, I often don't notice it happening then suddenly realize
In the last few years I've felt my own taste move (in relative position) from being kind of one the outside of the social circle (too dry) to being central/integral to the social circle to outside again but in a different way (but this time not dry enough)
The social circle gradually changedthe taste of the people in both the newer and older sections of the social circle also changed during that timeI gradually changed also
What is tasteful today is tacky tomorrow and viceversa
― april wowak, Friday, 30 December 2011 09:17 (nine years ago) link
Like Teengirl FantasyStorm QueenOktored(!)SpecterDisco NihilistShakeJuju & Jordash
dont know the rest!
― april wowak, Friday, 30 December 2011 09:20 (nine years ago) link
Actually just realized the Teengirl Fantasy is the beautiful swimmers mix not the john talabot. talabots is pretty good, but the beautiful swimmers one is definitely the go to mix on that
― april wowak, Friday, 30 December 2011 09:23 (nine years ago) link
Reading the blurbs on that ISM countdown makes me think I should listen through the whole list. The only ones I know are Escort, Floating Points, Ital and Anthony Shakir/BBC and they're all superb.
Is there a Firefox plugin or somewhat that extracts Youtube links from a webpage and turns them into a playlist? There should be.
― sean doily, Friday, 30 December 2011 12:25 (nine years ago) link
not the same but http://www.youtubereloaded.com does it via manual pasting of URLs
― nashwan, Friday, 30 December 2011 12:30 (nine years ago) link
My copy of the NCW 12
― april wowak, Friday, 30 December 2011 12:39 (nine years ago) link
arrived today, only knew of this because of ISM, great stuff
r'ships may have been my father's nickname in grade school
― some dude (Mr. Stevenson #2), Friday, 30 December 2011 12:54 (nine years ago) link
lamp otm itt
― max max max max, Friday, 30 December 2011 17:05 (nine years ago) link
Terrorizer top 40 albums list cos I was asked nicely
1 Mastodon - The Hunter2 Autopsy- Macabre Eternal3 Trap Them - Darker Handicraft4 Devin Townsend - Ghost / Deconstruction5 Amebix - Sonic Mass6 Altar of Plagues - Mammal7 Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage8 Blood Ceremony - Living With the Ancients9 Necros Christos - Doom of the Occult10 In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil11 Today Is The Day - Pain Is A Warning12 Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand13 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room14 The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre15 Solstafir - Svartir Sandar16 Fucked Up - David Comes To Life17 Tombs - Path of Totality18 Machine Head - Unto the Locust19 Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations20 Vallenfyre - A Fragile King21 Ancient Vvisdom - A Godlike Inferno22 Opeth - Heritage23 Craft - Void24 Sonne Adam - Transformation25 Brutal Truth - End Time26 Disma - Towards The Megalith27 Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore28 Yob - Atma29 All Pigs Must Die - God is War30 Cave In - White Silence31 Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning32 Will Haven - Voir Dire33 Decapitated - Carnival is Forever34 Obscura - Omnivium35 Rwake - Rest36 Morbus Chron - Sleepers in the Rift37 Maim - Deceased To Exist38 Absu - Abzu39 Esoteric - Paragon of Dissonance40 Shining - VII: Fodd Forlorare
― Extreme Lifestyle, Saturday, 31 December 2011 14:05 (nine years ago) link
not a bad list imo, plenty of stuff I don't care about but it doesn't seem manipulated or focusgrouped in whatever way
― Extreme Lifestyle, Saturday, 31 December 2011 14:06 (nine years ago) link
Surprised Mastodon won yet I couldn't see else in the list who would win. Yet again Uncle Acid have been ignored. Maybe next years lists will see them mentioned once its out in the USA.
― Anyone need a (Jimmy Riddle), Saturday, 31 December 2011 14:31 (nine years ago) link
wasn't the Uncle Acid an edition of a couple of hundred? Not surprising that lots of people overlooked it.
― EZ Snappin, Saturday, 31 December 2011 14:35 (nine years ago) link
apparently ppl download stuff nowadays or so I'm told
I've still not heard it cos I was so IA at the eBay disposable income prickery / standard Rise Above dick moves
seems like something I'd dig tho
― Extreme Lifestyle, Saturday, 31 December 2011 15:57 (nine years ago) link
― Anyone need a (Jimmy Riddle), Saturday, 31 December 2011 16:42 (nine years ago) link
popjustice readers have spoken
beyonce's 4 was the 3rd worst album of 2011.
― uberweiss, Saturday, 31 December 2011 17:35 (nine years ago) link
I thought the YOB album would be higher in the Terrorizer poll actually. Pleased to see Today Is The Day in high.
― Anyone need a (Jimmy Riddle), Saturday, 31 December 2011 18:15 (nine years ago) link
they hate party rock anthem? fuck them
― joey joe joe junior shabadoo, Saturday, 31 December 2011 19:41 (nine years ago) link
My top 100 of 2011, yalllll
― uncle bannmee who can recall his past logins (dealwithit.gif), Saturday, 31 December 2011 20:16 (nine years ago) link
pistol annies! :)
i would never ever have thought you were into nicolas jaar
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Saturday, 31 December 2011 20:19 (nine years ago) link
haha why not!
― uncle bannmee who can recall his past logins (dealwithit.gif), Saturday, 31 December 2011 20:21 (nine years ago) link
too tasteful, too pretty maybe? idk
still think he's maybe one of the artists i've discovered in the past 14 months who's most blown me away but if i was to put together a list of reasons/tracks why, the album would not constitute many of them.
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Saturday, 31 December 2011 20:28 (nine years ago) link
Pistol Annies album is so tuff.
― Lord Sotosyn, Saturday, 31 December 2011 20:36 (nine years ago) link
Glad to see Seun Kuti sneak on on there. I've been listening to the Matana Roberts this week, and it's definitely fascinating, though parts are also excruciating.
― Fastnbulbous, Saturday, 31 December 2011 23:51 (nine years ago) link
Lex OTM wrt the Jaar album.
― Tim F, Sunday, 1 January 2012 05:13 (nine years ago) link
Whiney, Bob Boilen from NPR radio/website All songs Considered site, and the afropop.org site all chose the nice understated kora and cello duet album Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal - Chamber Music (Mali and France) - (on Six Degrees)
It's growing on me but I went elsewhere with my African music choices
― Another Suburbanite, Sunday, 1 January 2012 15:05 (nine years ago) link
Orchestre Poly- Rythmo-Cotonou Club (Strut)
Jon Pareles at the NY Times also went with this one
― Another Suburbanite, Sunday, 1 January 2012 15:15 (nine years ago) link
That should be Orchestre PolyRythmo
― Another Suburbanite, Sunday, 1 January 2012 15:16 (nine years ago) link
If they had gone with the full TuneYards style lettering they could have made more lists
― Another Suburbanite, Sunday, 1 January 2012 15:17 (nine years ago) link
POX nico jaar:
wouha time for usmarksthe bees - winter rose (nicolas jaar remix)ellen allien - flashy flashy (nicolas jaar remix)space is only noise if you can seelove you gotta lose againrussian dollsel bandidono regular play - owe me (nicolas jaar remix)
― degas-dirty monet (lex pretend), Sunday, 1 January 2012 15:50 (nine years ago) link
maybe every artist should do this for lols?
pIsToL aNnIeS - h e l l o n h e e l s
tIm HeCkEr - r a v e d e a t h , 1 9 7 2
― ilxor, Sunday, 1 January 2012 19:11 (nine years ago) link
It took two hours to compose that post didn't it
― Lord Sotosyn, Sunday, 1 January 2012 19:42 (nine years ago) link
Brainwashed.com's reader's poll results
― Illia Rump (emil.y), Monday, 2 January 2012 14:02 (nine years ago) link