are you watching sharknado or what?
― lxy, Friday, 12 July 2013 03:21 (six years ago) link
lol i need to pay attention sorry
i did not watch sharknado as i do not have cable. i could torrent it, but i am v. bad about watching things. nevertheless, i approve of its existence.
― mookieproof, Sunday, 14 July 2013 04:41 (six years ago) link
atm i am v. disturbed by the recent judicial decision and nearly as much so by the fact that a close friend vehemently agrees with it
― mookieproof, Sunday, 14 July 2013 04:51 (six years ago) link
ugh, that's rough. how can it be?
― lxy, Tuesday, 16 July 2013 02:02 (six years ago) link
now watching sharknado. so terrible and amazing!
― lxy, Monday, 22 July 2013 04:28 (six years ago) link
― mookieproof, Monday, 22 July 2013 05:01 (six years ago) link
mookie, how is your knee, much better i hope.
― estela, Sunday, 11 August 2013 00:48 (six years ago) link
i haven't done anything about it : /
i mean, it's fine, i can walk okay, just not run
― mookieproof, Sunday, 11 August 2013 03:49 (six years ago) link
thank you for asking <3
― mookieproof, Sunday, 11 August 2013 08:51 (six years ago) link
i think about it quite often, i'm glad you can walk on it but can you get it more fixed up than that? or will it slowly heal on its own?
― estela, Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:22 (six years ago) link
there are stories of ppl whose leg muscles were powerful enough to hold the knee in place, but i doubt i'm one of them at this point. and my left calf is behaving a little oddly.
i should almost certainly have surgery, which will require unprecedented insurance-navigating action on my part.
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 13 August 2013 00:50 (six years ago) link
cat is mad cuddly, maybe because i was away for a couple days this week
he has bad breath and likes to knead my neck but i love him so much
― mookieproof, Sunday, 8 September 2013 03:38 (six years ago) link
― tehresa, Sunday, 8 September 2013 17:02 (six years ago) link
very important: happy birthday, mookie!!!
― tehresa, Saturday, 21 September 2013 12:35 (six years ago) link
happy birthday mookie<3, i hope you get a special neck knead from your dear little cat.
― estela, Saturday, 21 September 2013 15:02 (six years ago) link
― spite n ease (harbl), Saturday, 21 September 2013 19:01 (six years ago) link
Happy birthday mp!
― jaq, Saturday, 21 September 2013 22:34 (six years ago) link
happy birthday, friend. i wish you would move here
― lxy, Sunday, 22 September 2013 02:34 (six years ago) link
thank u <3
― mookieproof, Sunday, 22 September 2013 18:03 (six years ago) link
mookieproof, today jergïns and i are going to to those hotsprings you tried to get to in the snow.
― lxy, Saturday, 9 November 2013 15:56 (six years ago) link
sweet! don't almost die like i did
― mookieproof, Saturday, 9 November 2013 16:43 (six years ago) link
At Sol Duc, or elsewhere? A lovely day for onsen.
― jaq, Saturday, 9 November 2013 19:57 (six years ago) link
i did not almost die though i felt like i might at times. shit is steep! i cannot imagine doing the trail in snow shoes!!! not even imagine it a little bit!!!!!
jaq: not sol duc, scenic hot springs, past sultan off highway 2.
― lxy, Sunday, 10 November 2013 04:12 (six years ago) link
i dreamt i somehow became embroiled in a suicide bombing plot devised by my department's marketing team, targeting the oprah winfrey show, the point of which i was never quite clear on. all involved, including all of marketing, plus me, plus mookieproof, were paired into teams of two per car, mookie and me in the lead.
after the pairing no one really talked to the other group members, except mookie wasn't here yet so i had nobody to talk to. i kept trying to tell people i had strong reservations but no one would listen. finally, when everyone was piling on the bus to go to the event i told my friend tammy i wasn't going to do it because i wasn't ready to die.
so they went without me, and i went to lingbert's apartment, where i continued working on the elaborate art piece i was making for my dad for christmas. lingbert asked me a million questions about it which, coming from anyone else would have been facetious, but from lingbert they were perfectly genuine.
― lxy, Thursday, 10 April 2014 23:29 (five years ago) link
it was a pretty bad dream but i still feel a little guilty for bailing on mookieproof.
― lxy, Thursday, 10 April 2014 23:31 (five years ago) link
― mookieproof, Thursday, 10 April 2014 23:49 (five years ago) link
to be be clear, mookie, you never actually appeared in the dream, so for all i know you bailed too.
― lxy, Friday, 11 April 2014 01:23 (five years ago) link
no doubt i did : /
― mookieproof, Saturday, 12 April 2014 05:21 (five years ago) link
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIR MOOKS-A-LOT!!
― lxy, Sunday, 21 September 2014 21:25 (five years ago) link
<3 thank u
― mookieproof, Sunday, 21 September 2014 22:50 (five years ago) link
what did lyle get you
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 21 September 2014 22:54 (five years ago) link
― mookieproof, Monday, 22 September 2014 00:02 (five years ago) link
<3 happy birthday <3
― tehresa, Monday, 22 September 2014 02:36 (five years ago) link
happy birthday mookie<3
― estela, Monday, 22 September 2014 09:19 (five years ago) link
Happy birthday wisjes to you!
― jaq, Monday, 22 September 2014 12:21 (five years ago) link
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 02:12 (five years ago) link
lyle has a heart murmur
― mookieproof, Sunday, 29 March 2015 06:19 (four years ago) link
i love him so much
best wishes to lyle and to you also.
― estela, Sunday, 29 March 2015 13:18 (four years ago) link
aww hugs to lyle
― tehresa, Sunday, 29 March 2015 15:29 (four years ago) link
Sounds like hugs and cuddles are needed all around. Good health and long life to Lyle
― jaq, Sunday, 29 March 2015 17:48 (four years ago) link
will he be ok? i love him too.
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 29 March 2015 21:59 (four years ago) link
lyle. mookie. my friends, my penpals.
― lxy, Monday, 30 March 2015 01:04 (four years ago) link
<3 <3 <3
― mookieproof, Saturday, 4 April 2015 01:00 (four years ago) link
dearest mookieproof. i think today is your big day and i hope it is great-greater-greatest!
love to you and to my buddy lyle.
― lxy, Monday, 21 September 2015 19:50 (four years ago) link
― spite n ease (harbl), Monday, 21 September 2015 22:51 (four years ago) link
mookieproof, even if it isn't your birthday, I hope you have a terrific day with that purrtastic Lyle!
― jaq, Monday, 21 September 2015 23:35 (four years ago) link
birthday! i raise my bourbon to thee.
― tehresa, Tuesday, 22 September 2015 01:27 (four years ago) link
thanks dudes! it kind of turned into autumn overnight, which was lovely, and then when i came home from work lyle was waiting in the window (for me to feed him, but still)
pretty unreasonably old now tbh, but at least i can share it with a celebrated personality like alfonso ribeiro
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 22 September 2015 03:46 (four years ago) link
― tehresa, Tuesday, 22 September 2015 04:25 (four years ago) link
je me souviens
this will work, especially if you can throw in some stuff about dirty englishes and/or eric lindros
― mookieproof, Saturday, 1 October 2016 02:36 (three years ago) link
or watch 'silver streak'
― mookieproof, Saturday, 1 October 2016 02:39 (three years ago) link
Quebecois: quelle bizarre!
― toadstool might (tehresa), Saturday, 1 October 2016 03:42 (three years ago) link
― esperantzen (p much resigned to deems), Saturday, 1 October 2016 09:35 (three years ago) link
i watched this video yesterday and i understood like 60% of it they don't live in iglooshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-MOmvY3_0
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 2 October 2016 22:46 (three years ago) link
no i understood 60% of the first minute and a half then i stopped watching it because now i have no idea what she is saying
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 2 October 2016 22:49 (three years ago) link
she is just mourning the loss of the montréal expos, who played their final game 12 years ago today
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 4 October 2016 01:43 (three years ago) link
i know they are still my favorite team
― spite n ease (harbl), Wednesday, 5 October 2016 00:53 (three years ago) link
Mookieproof's a quality poster, don't want to miss out on seeing something that apparently combines the music of Yes with maps of the United States.
― pplains, Friday, February 10, 2017 2:35 PM (six hours ago)
― spite n ease (harbl), Saturday, 11 February 2017 02:16 (two years ago) link
couldn't be prouder
― mookieproof, Saturday, 11 February 2017 04:38 (two years ago) link
i went to the gym for the first time since 2015
it was surprisingly okay but i probably won't be able to get out of bed in the morning
― mookieproof, Friday, 24 February 2017 00:51 (two years ago) link
i love to gym now but i didn't go all week. too busy. tired. great job, mookie
― spite n ease (harbl), Friday, 24 February 2017 01:23 (two years ago) link
My fitness classes keep getting canceled bc weather ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
― toadstool might (tehresa), Saturday, 25 February 2017 19:21 (two years ago) link
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 28 March 2017 03:58 (two years ago) link
oh mookie, i am so very sorry. that is devastating. beautiful lyle. my heart is breaking for you. <3
― estela, Tuesday, 28 March 2017 09:09 (two years ago) link
oh my god how awful, i'm sorry mookie :(
― spite n ease (harbl), Wednesday, 29 March 2017 01:30 (two years ago) link
i really feel sad about this! i can't imagine! i love my cat :((((((((((
― spite n ease (harbl), Wednesday, 29 March 2017 01:32 (two years ago) link
i am pretty bummed -- he was my favorite thing in the world
― mookieproof, Wednesday, 29 March 2017 14:28 (two years ago) link
i am so sad for you, dear mookieproof. rest in paradise, my little friend lyle.
― lxy, Wednesday, 29 March 2017 23:49 (two years ago) link
i'm sorry mookie :( this is awful shit news. i hope he wasnt in pain <3
― smoove operator, Sunday, 2 April 2017 02:57 (two years ago) link
oh my, I just saw this. I am so very sorry, mookie. I know how much he meant to you.
― toadstool might (tehresa), Sunday, 2 April 2017 04:59 (two years ago) link
i hope you had a good september 21!
― lxy, Monday, 25 September 2017 20:28 (two years ago) link
the second weekend in september i rented a car and drove down to stone harbor, nj to see my parents. they live in pittsburgh but we'd been going there for vacation, in one fashion or another, since the late 70s.
got there saturday afternoon; we half-watched the phillies beat the nationals, had pasta with shrimp for dinner, noted that perry mason was not in fact on, and went to bed.
sunday morning my mom woke me up -- my dad, after biking to the wawa to get coffee and the paper, had had a stroke. the ambulance came super-fast; he was taken to an ER in cape may courthouse where they gave him the essentially magical tPA. he'd been struggling with his right side, but when the tPA hit he was essentially back to normal.
it didn't last.
he was medevaced to philly, where he spent a week in the ICU. he was then medevaced back to pittsburgh, where he spent two weeks in a rehab center, then released into my mom's custody; a week later after giving him breakfast, she found him unresponsive in bed.
i flew to pittsburgh; we thought this might be it but weren't sure why. it was pneumonia brought on by aspirating food. he survived, but lost whatever gains he'd made using his right half.
he spent another week (with a tube down his throat) in the ICU, a week in the regular hospital, and two weeks at a rehab facility.
yesterday my mom brought him home to her place. last night he emailed me saying my new cat was cute.
this afternoon he shot himself in the head with a shotgun. he was watching football; my mom was upstairs. it wasn't immediate -- she literally had to give permission to let him die.
six years ago when he turned 75 i sent him this. so at least he knew. i understand why he did it, but leaving my mom to find him is fucked up.
So this is a bit awkward because I'm only going to send this to you and not Her, lest She become jealous. But while I am feeling eloquent (which is largely when I've had a few beers) I would like to consider, for your birthday, your effect on my life. I'm sure I'll miss more than a few things, but there's quite a bit on which to remark.
I don't remember a time prior to your involvement, which I guess is unusual amongst step-children. I understand that you visited the hospital upon my birth, which is both cool and makes me wonder about its propriety, if you know what I mean. I don't recall pulling the standard "you're not my real father" line on you, although I don't remember a situation in which it might have been even feasible.
Really, your greatest failure (sorry) was not having me hit left-handed. Which wasn't much, since I hit pretty well right-handed and was largely sick of Heimbuecher/baseball by the time it became decisive. I briefly used to wonder if I could have walked on at Duke or even played pro ball, but it is sad to realize that I think not. There *are* players in the minors that, in my starry-eyed memory, I think I was better than, but not many. But certainly no big leaguers.
Playing wood-bat baseball in DC several years ago was both eye-opening and disturbing. I was on a horrible team -- we won no games -- and I was in my early 30s. I broke a lot of bats, and not impressively -- I splintered them rather than sending half a bat into the crowd. Anyway I had this image of myself as being athletically superior which didn't really bear out. Christine watched several games and didn't seem disturbed, but I was -- even now when I watch big league games I think that I could do many of those things (the ones that don't involve hitting off-speed pitches the other way, at least). Such is aging, I guess.
Things I have told people about you, whom I refer to as my dad (Bob, when such things arise, is listed in the program as "Real Father" including quotes):
- Poured out liquid nitrogen on the floor at the Mellon Institute lab. Was there even any real reason for you to have liquid nitrogen there? I'm not sure, but whatever. If only you could have logically explained the Mellon Institute floor-numbering system
- Playing shortstop left-handed at Penn State
- Smoking for six months in grad school, then never again apart from very infrequent parties
- Pam Bunting? I mean, Phil seemed decent, but c'mon
- The Russian novel period of the 1970s
- The fact that you like AC/DC and purchased Guns 'N' Roses' 'Appetite for Destruction' independently (I'll back you up on the AC/DC; GnR was overrated)
- Calling Herschel at DVE about 'Sympathy for the Devil' and then getting into the Stones before me
- Muting the television (because of Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy) and listening to Fleming and Cope on the radio for Steelers games
- Punching the floor at certain points during Steeler games in the 70s
- Me being allowed to stay up until halftime for Monday night football when my normal bed time was 10pm
- Allowing me to have half (just below that little ring) of the 16oz Mountain Dew, then watching the first half with my head on your thigh (still don't like popcorn)
- Punting (I distinctly remember hearing about Art Rooney Sr.'s death in the late '80s, then going to catch your punts.)
- Your (and Her, and John the neighbor's) tolerance of the pregame playlist culminating in 'Freebird'
- Hockey (although I'm curious about why you and Dick and his kids and I all shoot righty)
- Hockey again, because I more or less ended up at McGill because I was a hockey fan, and wrote a university paper that quoted the Hockey News, and when we didn't get SportsChannel in the 80s I listened to French radio coverage of the 1986 Canadiens-Flyers Prince of Wales Finals and only knew when someone scored when the dudes yelled the same name over and over again, and calling me during my freshman year of college (1989-90) when Randy Gilhen scored a game-winner and I'd been listening to it on the radio in North Carolina
- The fact that in 1996, when I lived in Minneapolis, I spent several hours in my car in the middle of the night listening to the KDKA broadcast that culminated in Petr Nedved's goal in the fourth overtime
- Being hit by a puck and going to the Penguins locker room, then having Jean Pronovost sign the puck
- Sending me clippings for however many years, even when certain Post-Gazette columnists are full of shit
- The fact that it was discovered that I was nearsighted because I couldn't read the Civic Arena scoreboard
- The fact that you *read books*. I know She did too, but that was built around the fact that She was inherently overwhelmingly busy. (Thanks for your help in escaping that eternal predicament.) There's a certain sense I have that the ideal evening involves everyone sitting on separate couches reading books while Shostakovich is playing. The Seventh is only for Yahtzee games, though
- You are and remain the smartest and most well-read person I know. I remember Her trying to teach me algebra before I had it (I think I was in fourth grade?) -- e.g. these things on each side of the equation are the same, therefore we can do the same things to both sides and they will remain equal -- yet it did not make sense to me (don't tell Her). But when I had calculus, you remembered shit about it that is absurd. I mean, it's been 23 years since I had Calc I and I was *good* at it. I dimly remember how limits go infinite or whatever -- you remembered it the way it was. And yeah, you were a chem teacher, but I don't think you were teaching how reactions become infinite
- The thing about having 'chosen' me -- i.e. that in marrying Her you bought in to me as well -- is true. And like I said, if I tried to diss you about it -- or your lack of a mustache -- I don't remember it, nor a reason to do so. On the other hand, I was such a good stepchild that I recall (and I think my recollection is overstated, but still) your brother being a Dick, so to speak, because I was a better athlete than Greg. (I guess he showed me by producing more grandchildren, among other things, though!)
- On yet another hand I am curious, particularly given my current situation -- you entered a scenario in which had I been a total fuckup (an Edsel?), it wouldn't have been your fault. And there's much less pressure to sort something out if one is not to blame, but merely helping. Fortunately I was awesome, more or less, until now. Right?
- She taught me to read, which I consider the most influential fact of my life. I could be wrong -- I'm not entirely sure how most people learned to read, but I hope it wasn't in school. She had the 'Why Johnny Can't Read' xeroxes, and I remember that I pronounced 'truck' as 'chruck.' You guys said no, that's wrong, and I said (I paraphrase), "Dudes -- you know what I meant, so what the fuck?" Probably just as well you remained steadfast.
- At any rate, at the risk of being all mushy, happy birthday and (step)father's day. I am pretty sure that you personally are the best thing to happen to me ever, and I hope that you continue to be for some time to come.
― mookieproof, Friday, 24 November 2017 05:57 (one year ago) link
― mookieproof, Friday, 24 November 2017 07:03 (one year ago) link
i think i'm crying. i'm sorry, mookie. that is so sad.
― spite n ease (harbl), Saturday, 25 November 2017 02:13 (one year ago) link
i am so, so sorry.
― toadstool might (tehresa), Monday, 27 November 2017 14:27 (one year ago) link
dearest mookieproof. i am heartbroken for you.
the letter you sent to your dad is so warm and loving. he sounds like a very good father to you, and i am sure he appreciated your words. such a cruel and sad finale for him. and for you and for "Her." i am sorry his release from suffering brings such pain to those he loved.
please reach out (i believe you have both my phone number and email address) if there is anything i can do to support you.
your friend, lxy
― lxy, Monday, 27 November 2017 17:54 (one year ago) link
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 5 December 2017 03:30 (one year ago) link
question: ravens at steelers?
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 10 December 2017 22:00 (one year ago) link
― mookieproof, Sunday, 10 December 2017 22:26 (one year ago) link
― spite n ease (harbl), Monday, 11 December 2017 11:44 (one year ago) link
mookie, jergins and i are going to be in your town next week. it may be too much to hope for a meet-up because our time is short and the things are many. but maybe you are proximate to where we will be in bed-stuy and we could arrange a drink on wednesday or friday or saturday?
― lxy, Tuesday, 2 January 2018 21:07 (one year ago) link
that is crazy because i already have plans with another sandboxer on wednesday! could be a fap
― mookieproof, Wednesday, 3 January 2018 02:43 (one year ago) link
I wonder who it could be????
― toadstool might (tehresa), Wednesday, 3 January 2018 03:45 (one year ago) link
whaaaaa???!! LET'S FAP!
― lxy, Wednesday, 3 January 2018 16:08 (one year ago) link
― esperantzen (p much resigned to deems), Thursday, 4 January 2018 00:19 (one year ago) link
where and when should we report on wednesday?
― lxy, Monday, 8 January 2018 16:17 (one year ago) link
maybe . . . 6:45? where will you be around then?
― mookieproof, Monday, 8 January 2018 22:35 (one year ago) link
if everything runs on time we should be in bed-stuy by then.
― lxy, Tuesday, 9 January 2018 15:42 (one year ago) link
what in the hell is an emergency backup goalie?
― spite n ease (harbl), Friday, 30 March 2018 21:28 (one year ago) link
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 3 April 2018 02:55 (one year ago) link
happy dearest mookieday
― lxy, Friday, 21 September 2018 18:36 (one year ago) link
― mookieproof, Friday, 21 September 2018 21:59 (one year ago) link
important question: happy birthday?
― spite n ease (harbl), Wednesday, 26 September 2018 00:59 (one year ago) link
it was made ideal by several lovely messages
― mookieproof, Saturday, 29 September 2018 01:40 (one year ago) link
happy days, dear mokie prof
― lxy, Sunday, 22 September 2019 15:03 (one month ago) link
^ this is how i hastily typed your entry into my contact list way back when. it remains. i wish you’d come back.
― lxy, Sunday, 22 September 2019 15:05 (one month ago) link
happy birthday. it's great to scroll up and see how many birthdays you've celebrated on the sandbox, through thick and thin.
― spite n ease (harbl), Sunday, 22 September 2019 19:06 (one month ago) link
thank you, students! xoxo
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 24 September 2019 23:30 (one month ago) link
brought lyle home 10 years ago today
still miss him so much tbh
― mookieproof, Tuesday, 5 November 2019 03:36 (one week ago) link